Google laptop shows Apple a thing or two

Google laptop shows Apple a thing or two
Thank you, Google. For obsoleting my MacBook. Question: What two killer hardware features are missing on MacBooks? My answer: a touch screen and 4G. What a coincidence.Just what Google is offering on the Chromebook Pixel. And in a package that comes close to matching the MacBook's aesthetics. Not everyone may agree with that.Take the laptop flat-earthers.They will say touch is stupid (or "pointless" as one columnist said) on a laptop.Yeah right, just like the mouse was a stupid idea.Related storiesGoogle Chromebook Pixel reviewThen there's Apple's your-arm-wants-to-fall-off on vertical touch surfaces excuse. That will eventually give way to a touch-screen MacBook of some sort. You heard it here first. The point is, Google knows (they're not stupid) that touch is important on a laptop. As does Microsoft (Windows 8 and Surface).That leaves Apple in Luddite land. 4G: And some might say that a Chromebook needs 4G more than a MacBook because the Chromebook is so immersed in the cloud. Hmm, my MacBook spends lots of time in the cloud too. And the last time I used it on the road, I was constantly hauling out my Verizon MiFi or running down my iPhone's battery with the Personal Hotspot.Come on, LTE belongs in a laptop.And the operating system?I believe that cool hardware is the first step in luring consumers to a new operating environment.While Chrome OS is still a work in progress (and lacks key features that many users need), with the success of Android, I do think it's possible that an improved Chrome OS combined with a second-generation Chromebook Pixel could reel in more consumers. Google certainly has my attention. Google Chromebook Pixel.CNET